Monday, April 21, 2008

100!!!

I did it! 100 birds! I am so excited right now LOL I got an email (I'm on an email birding hotline) about several new birds, so I packed up the kids this morning, and away we went. We saw 28 species this morning, 6 of which were new for this year (Snowy Egret, Bonaparte's Gull, Wilson's Phalarope, Greater Yellowlegs, Forster's Tern and Northern Rough-winged Swallow). The best part was, they were all really close to the road, so I got a GREAT look at all of them. It's so nice when they're close, and they stick around long enough that you can sit and watch them for a while. The bad part was that the battery in dh's nice camera died, so I didn't get as many good pics as I could have. Such a bummer. I did get some pics with my camera, but that's not much better than nothing LOL I also saw a Sandhill Crane with a broken wing, which was very sad.

On Saturday I went on my second field trip with the Bridgerland Audubon Society. We went out to the Amalga Barrens. It was pretty windy, and a storm was blowing in, but we still got to see some nice birds, including a Cackling Goose, which is a life bird (new bird species that I haven't seen before) for me. I've been looking for one ever since it became its own species a couple of years ago. Before that it was lumped in with all the other subspecies of Canada Goose. It definitely pays to go birding with people who own BIG, POWERFUL scopes LOL

So now I need to come up with some way to celebrate 100 birds. Another birding trip maybe? :)

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Hey, where are the pictures?

How can I go sofa birding if you don't post the dang pictures? LOL

Congrats on your 100 birds.