Thursday, May 29, 2008

paper birds


I was in charge of paper lanterns for our Blue and Gold cub scout banquet back in February (the theme was Chinese New Year). I needed something cool to hang the lanterns on so I covered an old formula can (I KNEW those would come in handy some day! LOL) with red paper, stuck a branch in it and hung red and yellow paper lanterns on the branch. It looked so cool that I decided to keep the branch in the can! It's been sitting on my desk since. I did paint the branch white a month or so ago, but that was the end of it. Until yesterday! I was browsing etsy and saw some REALLY CUTE paper birds. Totally fell in love with them. I feel guilty about it, but instead of purchasing the really cute birds, I sketched one and made my own. Teeny budget plus way too much scrapbook paper equals DO IT MYSELF. This way it matches better too LOL So I made 6 really cute birds yesterday, with plenty of glitter and rhinestones (which of course you can't see in the pics...). Today I got around to decoupaging the can with the same papers I used to make the birds. Added some lace, buttons and silk flowers. And, since the branch was still a little on the bare side, I made some round medallions too. I stamped images with StazOn and then used my water pen and Stampin' Up! ink pads to color the images. I also stamped stuff on the back of each medallion. I SERIOUSLY LOVE the way it turned out! Isn't it great when something works out the way you want it to? :)

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

Love the can and the birds, they turned out great.

I want to see pictures of all of your Tai Pan stuff put up.

Unknown said...

Thanks for dropping by. I love your little paper bird tree. Dont you just love birds! Susie H.

Free Art Printables said...

Love your paper birds, so very cute! Jen R

Elle Jay Bee said...

Oh my...I love those birds, especially the stamped ones!! I wish I could think up things like this!! Thank goodness for blogs!!

Lovely blog you have here...
Linda